Veggie burgers are all about tinkering and finding what works for you. As a good starting point, sweet potatoes and black beans are a fab mix. This recipe serves as a good base to get you going.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut lengthwise and roasted
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (from about 1/2 cup dried)
- 1 1/5 cups cooked black beans (from 1/2 cup dried)
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup rolled oats or nut meal, ground (use high-speed blender)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut potatoes lengthwise. Place face-side down on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cook until tender - about 30 minutes - and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
While the potatoes are roasting, cook the quinoa according to package instructions.
In a medium sized bowl, add black beans and mash about half the amount with a fork. Scoop out the sweet potato and mix with the beans. Add the quinoa, ground oats (or nuts), onions, spices, and salt. Mix to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Hand roll the mixture into balls or use a measuring cup to size, place on parchment lined sheet, and lightly press the top to form patties. Bake burgers for about 30-45 minutes, depending on how firm you like them. Flip at the 20 minute mark, or half-way through your set time.